Home‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎

2012 Intermediate Football Championship Reports

21st April 2012, Ballinagore 0-9 Ballymore 0-09

We played Ballymore in the first round last Saturday evening in Moate. Ballymore had the better start and led by 0-3 to 0-1 after fifteen minutes, but Ballinagore rallied and led at the break by 0-4 to 0-3. The second half saw the lead change hands a couple of times, and Ballinagore were in the ascendancy with minutes remaining, but Ballymore clinched a late equaliser to snatch a draw. Final score 0-9 a-piece. Team: Mark Doyle, Mark King, Martin Linnane, Pat Heduan, Dan Gavin, Michael Ennis 0-2 (1f), Paul Maloney, Stewart Gavin 0-2, Eoin Miller 3f, Brian Sheerin, Ciarán Carey (Capt.) 0-1, Christy Maloney 0-1, Cathal Ennis, Ian Seery, Michael Gannon. Subs used: Paddy Maloney, James Sheerin, Declan Claffey, Kieran Deegan. Rest of Panel: Robert Gannon, James Keegan, Kevin Gannon, Martin Crowe, Enda Claffey, Nollaig Gannon, David Pidgeon.


21st July 2012, Ballinagore 1-08 Rosemount 3-11

We began this game with a penalty on two minutes after Niall Kelly was dragged down on his debut in the championship, and Eoin Miller duly converted the opportunity. Rosemount quickly replied and continued to apply the pressure scoring 1-3 in the subsequent eighteen minutes. Ballinagore failed to score in that time despite having ample possession, but when they did it was through direct and fast ball into the full forward line and Niall Kelly converted two points from tight angles. Eoin Miller converted a thirty yard effort following a quick delivery once again and Ciarán Carey gained the lead for Ballinagore with a fine effort from the right wing to leave the score 1-4 to 1-3 in favour of Ballinagore at half time. Rosemount played with more freedom early in the second period and scored four unanswered points before rattling the Ballinagore net for the second time, effectively ending the game as a contest. Fifteen minutes had passed in the second half before Ballinagore raised a flag and they scored a further three points to Rosemount's 1-4 in the closing stages to leave it 3-11 to 1-8 at the finish. Ballinagore battled hard all through but long spells of failing to threaten the Rosemount goal tells the tale of the difference between the sides. Team: Mark Doyle, Mark King, Pat Heduan, James Keegan, Paul Maloney, Michael Ennis 0-3 (1f), Dan Gavin, Stewart Gavin, Eoin Miller 1-2 (1-0pen, 1f), Cathal Ennis, Ciarán Carey (capt.) 0-1, Brian Sheerin, Ian Seery, Niall Kelly 0-2, Michael Gannon. Subs Used: Shane Heraty for Stewart Gavin (inj.), Martin Crowe for Michael Gannon, Robert Gannon for Niall Kelly, Rest of Panel: Kevin Gannon, Declan Claffey, David Slevin, Kieran Deegan, Frankie Deegan, Mark Claffey, Enda Claffey. We wish a speedy recovery to Stewart Gavin who injured his knee during the match.


27th July 2012, Ballinagore1-06 Shandonagh 0-13
Following our defeat to Rosemout, we faced Shandonagh in Lakepoint Park last Friday evening. The mathematics were simple. Win the game and we could look forward to the final two games with the real prospect of reaching the quarter finals, lose and we were back in survival mode. We felt we could swing the pendulum in our favour despite being without stalwart Stewart Gavin who has a serious knee injury. Ballinagore started brightly and won a penalty through Niall Kelly which was well taken by Eoin Miller. Shandonagh kept in touch with a couple of well taken points before Kelly converted a point of his own to leave it 1-1 to three points in favour of Ballinagore. Shandonagh were prominent here and sustained pressure on the Ballinagore half back line brought a further two points. Ciarán Carey levelled the match at 1-2 to 0-5 with a shot over his shoulder before Shandonagh responded and thus led by 0-6 to 1-2 at half time. Ballinagore re-grouped at the break and took the fight to Shandonagh early on with points from Cathal Ennis and Niall Kelly following good work by the Ballinagore forward line. Unfortunately this start was not built upon and Shandonagh crept back in front, just keeping a point ahead of Ballinagore, before a late brace of points put enough space between the teams with time running out. It finished 0-13 to 1-6 in favour of Shandonagh. Stewart Gavin was certainly a huge loss in this game but Ballinagore had enough chances to win the match with the players available. On a positive note we had another championship debutante in Frankie Deegan and we hope that his time with Ballinagore will be a fruitful one in the years to come. Team: Mark Doyle, Mark King, Pat Heduan, James Keegan, Brian Sheerin, Michael Ennis, Paul Maloney, Dan Gavin, Eoin Miller, Cathal Ennis 0-1, Ciarán Carey (capt.) 0-1, Shane Heraty, Ian Seery, Niall Kelly 0-2, Frankie Deegan. Subs Used: Michael Gannon for Frankie Deegan, JJ Hegarty for Shane Heraty, Kieran Deegan for Ian Seery. Rest of Panel: Martin Crowe, Robert Gannon, Declan Claffey, Willie Gavin, Kevin Gannon, Enda Claffey, David Pidgeon, Nollaig Gannon, David Slevin, Mark Claffey, Pierce Corcoran.



5th August 2012, Ballinagore 1-03 CFCW 4-16

We played Castletown/Finea/Coole/Whitehall in the fourth round last Saturday evening. Our opponents got off to a perfect start scoring two early goals and ever before they scored their third after twenty minutes, the game was over as a contest. The half-time score read 3-9 to 0-2 in favour of last years beaten finalists. The second half saw the North Westmeath men increase their advantage adding a further 1-7 to their tally while Ballinagore scored 1-1, including a well finished goal by Ian Seery having been set up by JJ Hegarty. Final score 4-16 to 1-3. The story of these two teams is easy to relate ; one is putting the finishing touches to a project five years in the making with the last piece, the Peter Geraghty Cup, within touching distance, while the other is on the first step of that rebuilding process, needing to put a new plan together for the future. On the positive side there were two further championship newcomers to add to the growing list namely Enda Claffey and Kevin Gannon, who join Niall Kelly, Robert Gannon, Frankie Deegan and Martin Crowe as first timers. Team: Mark Doyle, Mark King, Pat Heduan, James Keegan, Dan Gavin, Michael Ennis 0-1, Kieran Deegan, Eoin Miller 0-1, JJ Hegarty, Cathal Ennis, Ciarán Carey (capt.) 0-1, Paul Maloney, Ian Seery 1-0, Niall Kelly, Michael Gannon. Subs Used: Brian Sheerin for Michael Gannon, Enda Claffey for James Keegan, Declan Claffey for Niall Kelly (inj.), Pierce Corcoran for Dan Gavin (inj.), Kevin Gannon for Ciarán Carey (inj.). Rest of Panel: Frankie Deegan, Martin Crowe, Willie Gavin, Nollaig Gannon, David Slevin, Mark Claffey, James Sheerin.



12th August 2012, Ballinagore 2-06 St. Mary’s Rochfortbridge 0-11

We made our third trip to Lakepoint Park in as many weeks to take on St. Mary's Rochfortbridge in the final group game of the championship. We needed to win this game to avoid another relegation play-off and we got off to a great start when Ian Seery and JJ Hegarty combined, Seery re-directing the ball to the opposite side of the Rochfortbridge goal where it settled in the net. 'The Bridge' opened with a point before Eoin Miller converted a free for Ballinagore. Rochfortbridge had another well taken effort and several wides before Niall Kelly gathered the ball in the full-forward line and drove goalward where he dispatched his shot to the net making the score 2-2 to 0-2 in favour of Ballinagore. From here on it was all Rochfortbridge and they had chance after chance scoring three further points to reduce the deficit and leave the score 2-2 to 0-5 at half time. Ballinagore had the better start to the second half scoring two points from Eoin Miller and Michael Ennis and increasing the lead to five points. But Rochfortbridge were a different animal in the second half, cutting out their mistakes and pinning Ballinagore back into their own half-back line, picking off six points to Ballinagore's one over the next twenty minutes to draw level. Ballinagore were tiring but were forced to take the game to their opponents in order to secure the win and they were rewarded with a close in free which was duly converted by Eoin Miller. Ballinagore held on for a further five fearful minutes before the final whistle sounded and secured their intermediate status for next year, and the chance to plan a future for the young talent coming through. Final score Ballinagore 2-6, St. Mary's Rochfortbridge 0-11. Team: Mark Doyle, Mark King, Pat Heduan, Enda Claffey, Brian Sheerin, Michael Ennis 0-1, Ciarán Carey (capt.), Eoin Miller 0-5 (3f), JJ Hegarty, Kieran Deegan, Dan Gavin, Paul Maloney, Ian Seery 1-0, Niall Kelly 1-0, Cathal Ennis. Subs Used: Michael Gannon for Paul Maloney, James Sheerin for Kieran Deegan. Rest of Panel: Robert Gannon, Martin Crowe, Frankie Deegan, Kevin Gannon, Willie Gavin, Declan Claffey, Mark Claffey, David Pidgeon, David Slevin, Shane Heraty.