Home‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎

2004 League and Cup Match Reports


ACFL Div 3, 29th November 2004


Ballinagore  0-10  Castledaly 0-07


We travelled to Castledaly last Saturday to play the home side in the league. This was an important game for us to win as we needed both points in this competition to lift us out of the danger area. The pitch was very soft in places after the recent heavy rain and conditions didn't improve as the rain picked up during the course of the game which left the play very scrappy. We played with the strong breeze in the first half and settled quickly. We opened up a three point lead after ten minutes and looked as if we might build up a good half time lead as we were very dominant in terms of posession with our backs being very much on top of proceedings. However we were wasteful in front of goal and missed a number of good scoring chances including a goal effort from Michael Ennis that came crashing back off the cross bar and another from Ian Seery whose shot went badly wide. Half time score was Ballinagore 0-05, Castledaly 0-02. The second half was more even as we realised the extent of the breeze. We found ourselves under a lot more pressure and found it hard to clear our lines at times. But credit to the forwards in this half as every time Castledaly scored a point to reduce the deficit, they managed to produce the goods at the far end on limited posession. Castleday battled gamely and managed to cut our lead to a single point with about five minutes remaining but points by Cathal Ennis and a free by Michael Ennis restored our one goal lead and we were safe until the final whistle. Overall this was a good performance by Ballinagore and some great displays from notably Peter Deegan, Pierce Corcoran, Eddie Quinlan and Mary Linnane got us the points we deserved. Team: Christy Maloney, Peter Deegan, Louis Ennis, Enda McCann, Pierce Corcoran, Peter Heraty, Pat Heduan, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Eddie Quinlan, Michael Ennis, Marty Linnane, Cathal Ennis, Ian Seery, Declan Claffey. Subs: Mark Claffey, Darren Ennis, Sean Delaney, Gerry Claffey.



Intermediate Cup, 1st November 2004


Ballinagore  0-07  Maryland 2-10


We travelled to Drumraney last Sunday to take on the home side in the Intermediate Cup. Before the game started the fog was so heavy that you could barely see from one end of the pitch to the other but it lifted slightly before the throw in. The soft, damp conditions and a lack lustre performance in the first half saw us concede two goals and we trailed at half time by 2-07 to 0-05. Indeed we were unfortunate with the goals we let in and we should have had one ourselves only for the Maryland goalkeeper who pulled off a great save. We improved in the second half but we couldn't find the scores to drag us back into contention. Team: Paddy Maloney, Peter Deegan, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Pierce Corcoran, Louis Ennis, James Sheerin, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Ciaran Carey, Michael Ennis, Eddie Quinlan, Marty Linnane, Ian Seery, Cathal Ennis. Subs used: Michael Maloney, Declan Claffey, Darren Ennis, Sean Delaney, Gerry Claffey.



ACL Division 3, 18th October 2004


Ballinagore  0-10  Milltown  0-10


Ballinagore played Milltown in the league last Sunday morning in Milltown. After a very tight encounter throughout, it was thought that we had secured a one point win. However, controversy erupted immedialtely after the final whistle when it emerged that the referee had the full time score totted up as a draw game. There was great confusion as a number of people present seemed to have the score as a 0-11 to 0-10 win for Ballinagore. Appeals by players and team officials to check the score again and to seek verification of the situation with our opponents were ignored and as it stands at the time these notes are being compiled, the result is being recorded as a draw. Aside from this, our performance on the field was very encouraging with every player giving it their all. The defense played extremely well throughout and our forwards foraged for everything with some very good movement and off the ball work. It was a very encouraging display going into our relegation playoff against Tang which will probably be next weekend. Team: Paddy Maloney, Peter Deegan, Louis Ennis, Enda McCann, James Sheerin, Peter Heraty, Pat Heduan, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Ciaran Carey, Michael Ennis, Eddie Quinlan, Marty Linnane, Ian Seery, Declan Claffey. Subs: Shane Heraty, Cathal Ennis, Darren Ennis, Paul Maloney, Gerry Claffey, Michael Gannon.


ACL Division 3, 24th May 2004


Ballinagore 1-05  Tyrrellspass 2-13


Our Division 3 team had a disappointing result against neighbours Tyrrellspass last Saturday evening in the league. Two goals in the first half left us with a mountain to climb against a strong Tidy Town side. While it was a disappointing result, the main difference between the sides was the ability to take scores. The outcome was never in question but throughout the game and particularly in the second half we kicked a number of wides and dropped a few short into their keeper. We will have to improve on our possession/score ratio if we are to succeed in forthcoming games. Team on Saturday was: Marty Linnane, Pierce Corcoran, Enda McCann, Peter Deegan, Ciaran Carey, Louis Ennis, Michael Maloney, Ian Seery, Peter Heraty, Cathal Ennis, Shane Heraty, Michael Maloney, Sean Delaney, Jason Winfield, Martin Seery. Subs used: Ger Linnane, Christy Maloney, Paddy Maloney, Gerry Claffey, Michael Gannon.



ACL Division 3, 19th April 2004


Ballinagore  1-07  Caulry  0-14


We played Caulry in Ballinagore on Easter Sunday in our thrid league outing. A spirited first half saw us trailing the visitors by two points, 0-08 to 0-06. Caulry had the better of the second half exchanges and held on to win by four points. Team: Christy Maloney, Paul Maloney, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Peter Deegan, Louis Ennis, Eddie Quinlan, Ian Seery, Marty Linnane, Ciaran Carey, Michael Ennis, JJ Hegarty, Gerry Claffey, Jason Winfield, Cathal Ennis. Subs: Shane Heraty, Peter Heraty, Mark Claffey, Sean Delaney, Declan Claffey, Ger Linnane, Michael Kirby.



ACL Division 3, 29th March 2004


Ballinagore  1-07  Bunbrosna 0-10


We played our second game in the league last Sunday against Bunbrosna in Ballinagore. This was an entertaining affair with both sides intent on playing fast, open football. It was nip and tuck for the first half but a good spell by Bun midway through the half saw them put over some lovely scores to lead by three points at the interval, 0-07 to 0-04. Goalkeeper, Christy Maloney, made two vital saves in the opening half to keep us in the game. The second half saw Ballinagore press forward from the start but a resolute defense kept our forwards at bay. At the other end, Bunbrosna were displaying great accuracy in front of goal and they soon pushed into a 0-09 to 0-04 lead. In fairness to our side, we never gave up the battle and our continuous pressure told off with some fine points from play by Shane Heraty, Cathal Ennis and two frees from Michael Ennis to leave just a goal between the side with moments remaining. In the last passage of play, corner back Pat Heduan, who gave a tremendous performance throughout, started a move in our half. He continued his run toward goal and just when it seemed that he would be surrounded by defenders, he managed to pass the ball across to Michael Ennis who gladly fisted home the equalising goal. This was a good team performance with everybody getting their back to the wheel when needed in the second half and a draw was a fair result considering the pressure we applied in the second half. We defended well throughout and great effort was put in by the team. We are still making silly mistakes and giving hard won posession away too easily but these can be rectified at training. Team: Christy Maloney, Paul Maloney, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Eddie Quinlan, Peter Heraty, Peter Deegan, Marty Linnane, Ian Seery, Ciaran Carey, Michael Ennis, Shane Heraty, Cathal Ennis, Ger Linnane, Paddy Maloney. Subs: Jimmy Marshall, Sean Delaney, Jason Winfield, Mark Claffey, Gerry Claffey.