Home‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎

2004 Intermediate Football Championship Match Reports


Intermediate Relegation Play-off, 7th November 2004


Ballinagore  0-08  Tang  0-09


We lost our Intermediate status last Saturday following this close fought, one point defeat to rivals Tang. This game was played before a good attendance in a well appointed Moate venue in fine weather conditions. The game started with both sides playing very cautiously which was inevitable given the importance of the result. However, Tang settled the better of the two sides and took the lead after five minutes. We drew level and took the lead shortly afterwards but this was to be our only period of dominance on the scoreboard. Tang levelled matters at two points apiece midway through the half and proceed to have the better of the scoring exchanges between then and the break firing over four more points to our one to leave the half time score 0-06 to 0-03 in their favour. Ballinagore emerged a totally different team in the second half after wakening up to the fact that we had only thirty minutes to rescue our championship status. We scored just after the resumption but Tang replied. Midway through the half, the deficit was still the same at 0-09 to 0-06. However the last quarter of the game totally belonged to Ballinagore in terms of possession and chances as we continuously laid siege on the Tang defense. We had two goal opportunities during this period but both were dramatically blocked by their goalkeeper, one being knocked over for a point. With Tang hanging on for dear life and every Ballinagore player bravely taking the game to our opponents, the score was reduced to the bare minimum but eventually time ran out and we had to accept our one point defeat. This was a game that we could have won had our first half performance matched our second half, but on the day Tang did enough to maintain their Intermediate status for 2005. We wish them the very best of luck for next season. For us though, we have to pick ourselves up from this disappointment. Everyone present in the dressing room after the game will remember this defeat and know what we need to do next season, that is to prepare ourselves fully for an immediate return to Intermediate status. Team on Saturday: Paddy Maloney, Peter Deegan, Louis Ennis, Enda McCann, Pierce Corcoran, Peter Heraty, Pat Heduan, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Marty Linnane, Michael Ennis, Ciaran Carey, Eddie Quinlan, Ian Seery, Cathal Ennis. Subs: James Sheerin, Declan Claffey, Shane Heraty, Mark Claffey, Jason Winfield, Sean Delaney, Christy Maloney.



Intermediate Football Championship, 4th October 2004


Ballinagore  2-09  Rosemount 3-12


Ballinagore put in a brave display in our final group game of this years championship last Sunday against a strong Rosemount side. Played in very wet conditions in Ballinagore, we conceded three goals in the first half which left us with a lot of work to do to salvage a result but the team showed great spirit and fought hard until the final whistle. We will find out who our opposition is in the relegation playoff after the last round of games in the other section next weekend. Team on Sunday : Paddy Maloney, Peter Deegan, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Pierce Corcoran, Peter Heraty, James Sheerin, Marty Linnane, Eoin Miller, Eddie Quinlan, Michael Ennis, Ciaran Carey, Jason Winfield, Ian Seery, Michael Maloney. Subs: Shane Heraty, Paul Maloney, Declan Claffey, Michael Maloney, Darren Ennis, Gerry Claffey, Cathal Ennis.



Intermediate Football Championship, 27th September 2004


Ballinagore  1-05  Bunbrosna 3-09


We suffered another heavy defeat at the hands of Bunbrosna last Saturday evening in The Downs. This result means that we now face a relegation playoff to avoid dropping back to the junior grade next year. We have one remaining fixture in the championship before this game against Rosemount. All players are asked to put in a big effort at training over the coming weeks to give ourselves a chance to retain our intermediate status. Team on Saturday: Paddy Maloney, Pat Heduan, Enda McCann, Peter Deegan, Ciaran Carey, Peter Heraty, Louis Ennis, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Eddie Quinlan, Michael Ennis, Marty Linnane, Michael Maloney, Ian Seery, Declan Claffey. Subs: Darren Ennis, Shane Heraty, Gerry Claffey, Cathal Ennis.



Intermediate Football Championship, 6th September 2004


Ballinagore   1-07  St. Mary's, Rochfortbridge 1-12


Last Sunday evening, we travelled to The Downs to play St. Mary's in our fourth championship game. This game was played in very tiring and humid conditions on a very well appointed The Downs venue. After our previous defeats, morale was understandably low going into battle against one of the favourites for the competition. Despite this, Ballinagore produced a fine display, especially in the first half where we led by 0-04 to 0-03 at the interval. Points from Michael Ennis and a fine score from play by Declan Claffey gave us a well deserved half time lead as our defense had performed very well and the Bridge were forced to take long range shots at goal which usually dropped wide. We needed a more solid start to the second half but it was our opponents that got this and while we were cat-napping for the first fifteen minutes after the restart, St. Mary's had found their shooting boots and had fired themselves into a 0-12 to 0-06 lead. But Ballinagore weren't finished just yet. A fine run by Eoin Miller and an even better pass in over the St. Mary's defense let Michael Ennis through and he didn't miss with a low shot past Declan Hogan in the Bridge goals. Game on again as we tried to make the most of the lift of the goal but all too soon, St. Mary's were awared a free from outside our 45 yard line. A high dropping ball was caught in the square by Ballinagore's Eoin Miller but he seemed to have the ball wrangled from him and it was rifled into our net from where appeared to be also in the square to give St. Mary's the cushion they needed to weather the storm and hold out for the win. This was a disappointing result for Ballinagore but it was our best performance of the championship to date and it should give us a boost for our final group games. Team: Paddy Maloney, Peter Deegan, Louis Ennis, Pat Heduan, James Sheerin, Peter Heraty, Ciaran Carey, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Eddie Quinlan, Ian Seery, Marty Linnane, Shane Heraty, Michael Ennis, Declan Claffey. Subs used: Cathal Ennis, Jason Winfield, Pierce Corcoran, Paul Maloney, JJ Hegarty



Intermediate Football Championship, 28th August 2004


Ballinagore   1-08  Milltown   1-14


On  Saturday 28th August, we returned to Springfield to play our old rivals Milltown. Let's just say that we must have thought the game was fixed for half an hour later than it actually was, as we were non-existant in the first half and watched the opposition tear us apart to lead by 1-09 to 0-01 at half time. No need for further anaylsis, we were where we deserved to be. However, a different team emerged for the second half as we produced a very spirited final thirty minutes. Right from the throw in, Eoin Miller soloed to their 45 yard line and popped over a point that gave everyone in there from Ballinagore a lift. From there on, we chipped into the eleven point half time deficit. When Michael Ennis was on hand to score our goal with ten minutes remaining, we had reduced it to four points. However, it wasn't to be. We seemed to run out of steam for the final ten minutes and Milltown were able to break up the field and score two valuable points to secure their victory. If we had played for the entire game, the outcome could have been a lot different. Team: Paddy Maloney, Louis Ennis, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Ciaran Carey, Peter Heraty, Eddie Quinlan, Eoin Miller, JJ Hegarty, Paul Seery, Michael Ennis, James Sheerin, Declan Claffey, Ian Seery, Michael Maloney. Subs used: Ger Linnane, Cathal Ennis



Intermediate Football Championship, 24th August 2004


Ballinagore   0-11  Mullingar Shamrocks 2-14


On Tuesday, 24th August, we travelled to Springfield to take on the home side in our first competitive outing in over two months. The game started brightly with both sides trading points over the first ten minutes. At this stage, Shamrocks were leading by 4 points to 3 but the town side were looking very lively all around the pitch while we were struggling to come to terms with the pace of the game. A good move involving Ian Seery, Michael Ennis and Marty Linnane was very unlucky not to have ended up in the town sides net as the ball slipped wide of the post when it seemed easier to score. From this point in, Shamrocks took control and kicked some fine points. Half time score was 0-10 to 0-05 in favour of Mullingar Shamrocks. We needed a good start to the second half but instead we got the worst possible when we conceded two early goals within five minutes of each other. This effectivly killed the game as a contest and the game was played out with both teams trading points 'til the finish. On the day, Mullingar were by far the better team and fully deserved their win. Team: Paddy Maloney, Michael Maloney, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Eddie Quinlan, Louis Ennis, Pierce Corcoran, Eoin Miller, JJ Hegarty, Ciaran Carey, Michael Ennis, Paul Seery, Marty Linnane, Ian Seery, Declan Claffey. Subs used: Peter Heraty, Jason Winfield



Intermediate Football Championship, 2nd May 2004


Ballinagore  0-09  Milltownpass 3-10


Ballinagore opened their championship campaign last Sunday evening with a heavy loss to a more committed and eager Milltownpass outfit. Played in The Downs in front of a good turnout of support, our team played well below their level of ability for most of the hour. The first quarter was well contested but Milltownpass were gaining the greater share of possession in the middle third of the field and were creating space and chances. On the other hand, Ballinagore were showing that even with a limited amount of possession, we had forwards who could give their back line major headaches. Milltownpass struck for their first goal near the twenty minute mark to put them in the driving seat. We stuck to our task admirably for the remainder of the half and managed to reduce the deficit courtesy of well taken points by Peter Heraty and Michael Ennis. With our last attack of the first half we lost possession when in a scoring position and we paid the ultimate price, as the ball was quickly moved back down the field on the counter attack and ended up in the back of our net. Half time was blown immediately after this and we went in at the break trailing Milltownpass by 2-03 to 0-04. Ballinagore started the second half brightly and we had cut the deficit to three points after five minutes of play. Milltownpass then settled again and they scored two points of their own to restore their five point lead. Milltownpass were well on top at this stage and they got in for a well taken third goal minutes after which effectively ended the game as a contest. With the game petering out to a dull finish both sides traded points to leave the final score 3-10 to 0-09 in favour of Milltownpass. Team: Christy Maloney, Paul Maloney, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Eddie Quinlan, Louis Ennis, Peter Deegan, Ian Seery, Marty Linnane, Ciaran Carey, Peter Heraty, Shane Heraty, Cathal Ennis, Micheal Ennis, Ger Linnane. Subs used: Michael Maloney, Pierce Corcoran, Jimmy Marshall. Rest of Panel: Michael Maloney, Jason Winfield, Sean Delaney, Paddy Maloney, Ger Claffey, Mark Claffey, Declan Claffey.