Home‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎

2003 Intermediate Football Championship Match Reports


Intermediate Football Championship, 28th July 2003


Ballinagore 2-06 Kilbeggan Shamrocks 1-11


We played neighbours Kilbeggan in our final championship group game last Saturday evening in Tyrrellspass. Having drawn our previous game against Ballynacargy we were not in contention for this years play-offs so there was little to play for apart from pride. The game started in a lively fashion and we were first on the scoreboard with an early point. A well taken goal by Michael Ennis left us in the driving seat for the remainder of the half and we went in one point to the good at the interval, 1-04 to 0-06. Kilbeggan levelled matters right from the restart but Ballinagore showed good resolve and went back in front soon after. There was little between the sides at this stage and further points were shared between us. With less than ten minutes left on the clock, a long delivery was collected by Cathal Ennis and his attempted point ended up in the Kilbeggan net to put us a goal up. Kilbeggan applied pressure on us for the remainder of the game and got back within a point of us with normal time running out. This continual pressure paid off when a long speculative kick towards goal broke behind two of our defenders and Kilbeggan were able to score the decisive goal to seal the win. Team on Saturday was: Christy Maloney, Pierce Corcoran, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Louis Ennis, Peter Heraty, Eddie Quinlan, Sean Robinson, Paul Seery, Shane Heraty, Michael Ennis, Ciaran Carey, Cathal Ennis, Ger Linnane, Jarlath Mahon. Subs used: Ian Seery, Martin Seery, Paul Maloney.



Intermediate Football Championship, 21st July 2003


Ballinagore 1-08 Ballynacargy 0-11


Ballinagore played out a hard earned draw with rivals Ballynacargy last Saturday evening in our second last group game in this years championship. Team: Christy Maloney, Pierce Corcoran, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Paul Maloney, Peter Heraty, Louis Ennis, Paul Seery, Peter Robinson, Ciaran Carey, Michael Ennis, Sean Robinson, Jarlath Mahon, Ger Linnane, Cathal Ennis. Subs used: Norman Maxwell, Eddie Quinlan, Ian Seery, Michael Maloney.



Intermediate Football Championship, 7th July 2003


Ballinagore 0-07 Maryland 1-11


We played Maryland in our fifth championship game last Sunday evening in Tang. This was a game we need to win to boost our chances of qualifying for the knockout stages. However this wasn't to be as we were soundly beaten by a strong Maryland team who now head up the division. Ballinagore won the toss and elected to play with the slight breeze advantage in the first half. We started well and had two points registered after eight minutes. Maryland were creating chances of their own though and this paid off when they goaled after a good movement midway through the first half. Another few points from the opposition left them in the driving seat. This knocked us back for a while, we kicked quite a few wides and dropped a few shots short after this. We did recover somewhat and points from Michael Ennis and Michael Maloney left us just one point behind at the interval, 0-05 to 1-03. The second half was where we needed the big push but it never came and Maryland showed their greater hunger by firing over six unanswered points. We did raise our game for the remaining ten minutes but goals were our only option at this late stage and Maryland were able to get back in numbers at all times to keep us out. The final score was 1-11 to 0-07 in favour of Maryland. All in all this was a very bad performance by Ballinagore and the team know that they can play much better. We dropped our heads when they got on top in the second half and we can't let that happen again in our remaining matches. The group is still very tight and it's still possible for us to qualify so we have to keep up the hard work down in the training field. Team: Christy Maloney, Pierce corcoran, Louis Ennis, Enda McCann, Michael Maloney, Peter Heraty, Ciaran Carey, Paul Seery, Peter Robinson, Sean Robinson, Michael Ennis, Jarlath Mahon, Cathal Ennis, Ger Linnane, Martin Seery. Subs used: Eddie Quinlan, Shane Heraty, Declan Claffey.



Intermediate Football Championship, 19th May 2003


Ballinagore 0-05 Rosemount 4-10


We played Rosemount in the second round of the championship last Friday evening in Kilbeggan. This game can only be described as a disaster from our point of view with Rosemount wiping us off the field with a devastating display of intelligent yet simple football. We've been hit badly with injuries over the recent past but no excuses can cover a defeat of this magnitude. Our downfall came in the first half when we were playing against the wind. We started slowly and Rosemount had gone into a 3 point to 1 lead after ten minutes of play. Two goals within a few minutes of each other rattled our team and Rosemount finished the half strongly with four more unanswered points. Half time score was 2-07 to 0-01. Ballinagore started the second half in a more lively fashion and got three points on the trot. We then got a penalty which was unfortunately missed. Rosemount then came back into the game with some points of their own to keep the gap between us. Ballinagore were forced into going for goals from this point on but a strong Rosemount defense held tight. In the final few minutes Rosemount broke downfield and scored two killer goals in their last two attacks. All in all this was a very poor performance by Ballinagore. We gave a gutsy display for much of the second half but our first half performance let us down and we faded towards the end. A lot more hard work needs to be done from here on and we urge all players to make training on Wednesday's and Friday's. Team: Vivian Doonan, Pierce Corcoran, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Louis Ennis, Peter Heraty, Eddie Quinlan, Paul Seery, Marty Linnane, Cathal Ennis, Ger Linnane, Ciaran Carey, Paul Maloney, Peter Robinson, Ian Seery. Subs used: Michael Maloney, Shane Heraty and Martin Seery.



Intermediate Championship, 28th April 2003


Ballinagore 1-07 Ballymore 2-04


Ballinagore played Ballymore in the first round of the championship last Saturday evening, 26th April, in Castletown-Geoghegan. We knew we were going into this match without the services of Michael Ennis but a great turnout of players and the late availabilty of Peter Robinson and Ger Linnane gave the selectors plenty of options. The game ended in a share of the spoils for both teams after another epic struggle between two evenly matched sides. Ballymore won the toss and elected to play with the aid of the breeze in the first half. We quickly found out just how strong and blustery the elements were when their first attempted shot on target from outside the ’45 deceived our goalkeeper and ended up in the net. Ballinagore then settled into the game and quickly got on the scoreboard with a pointed free from Eoin Miller and a good point from play from Cathal Ennis. Ballymore were using the wind well to their advantage and our backs had to handle a lot of long deliveries from out the field. Ballymore then had a pointed free. We replied with two of our own, one being excellantly converted from the sideline from Eoin Millers left foot. Another Ballymore point followed this and on their next attack they were awarded a penalty which they duly converted. We recovered from this and Sean Robinson had a good point from play and another Eoin Miller free left the half time score 2-03 to 0-06 in favour of Ballymore. The second half didn’t produce much in the line of scores but it more than made up for this with excitement and good end to end football. Ballinagore seemed to concentrate too hard trying to break down a strong defense and score goals rather than settling up and taking their points. The Ballymore keeper caught a lot of ball that dropped too short also. For a long time it looked as if Ballymore might hold out especially when we had a punched goal disallowed and there was controversy surrounding a pointed attempt from Cathal Ennis which looked over the bar but was flagged wide. However to our credit we never gave up and got our just rewards when Ger Linnane stepped up again with the all important goal that levelled the teams. Louis Ennis got possession on the half way line, he carried the ball forward and kicked goalward. The ball broke among a number of players in the large square and Ger got his foot to it only to see it rebound off the crossbar but he made no mistake in the follow up and punched passed the goalkeeper much to the delight of all our supporters. The remaining few moments were frantic with both sides determined to go for outright victory but in the end the referee called time and we had to settle for a point. This was a good enough performance by Ballinagore with some very good individual displays notably from Ciaran Carey, Pat Heduan and Pierce Corcoran. However we need to improve if we are to advance in this group so it is important that all of the players that were available on Saturday evening should attend training on Wednesdays and Fridays at eight o’clock. We can do well in this competition but no without putting in the effort. Team on Saturday was : Vivian Doonan, Pierce Corcoran, Enda McCann, Pat Heduan, Louis Ennis, Peter Heraty, Eddie Quinlan, Eoin Miller, Paul Seery, Cathal Ennis, Sean Robinson, Ciaran Carey, Ger Linnane, Ian Seery, Marty Linnane. Subs used : Peter Robinson and Paul Maloney. Rest of panel: Martin Seery, Shane Heraty, Declan Ward, Peter Deegan, Michael Maloney, Gerry Claffey, Mark Claffey, Norman Maxwell and Jimmy Marshall.