Home‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎

1993 Junior League Final


Ballinagore 2-04  Ballynacargy 0-08


(This report appeared on the Westmeah Examiner in November 1993 and has been reproduced here with their kind permission)


Ballinagore received consolation for their Junior Championship defeat this year to Garrycastle when they won the Junior Football League final in Ballymore on Sunday last at the expense of Ballynacargy. Both sides came into this final with excellent credentials. Ballinagore topped the table with maximum points undefeated in nine games, while Ballynacargy had an excellent semi-final voctory over neighbours Milltown. When the sides met last April, Ballinagore had a narrow one point victory over Ballynacargy. The small bunch of spectators who braved the chilling November weather was rewarded with a most enjoyable clash between two well matched sides.


Wind-assisted Ballynacargy had the better of the early exchanges and had wides from Anthony Maher and Declan Farrell before Shane Maher pointed them into the lead in the fifth minute with a 21 metre free. Ballinagore opened their scoring in the 7th minute when Louis Ennis' quick free to Norman Maxwell rebounded to Martin Seery who kicked over the bar. Play was brisk for the next ten minutes or so with Enda Maher, Craig Jordan and Derek Wallace making good clearances for Ballynacargy while Peter Robinson, John Durkan, Ger Connell and Paul Seery were equally as effective at the other end. The stalemate was broken in the 18th minute when Paul Bruton placed Anthony Maher who drove over the bar. This lead was increased further when midfielder Declan Farrell scored an excellent point, and Ballynacargy showed signs of being in command, with Enda Maher playing very well at centre half back. Good clearances from Jimmy Marshall and Pat Seery prevented Ballinagore from being further in arrears. Ballynacargy continued to apply the pressure on the Ballinagore defence and good play from Danny Keena and Mark Wallace resulted in another point from play from Anthony Maher which left the half time scor Ballynacargy 0-04, Ballinagore 0-01.


The second half resumed with Paul Baker replacing the injured Paul Seery on the Ballinagore team, a reshuffle which saw Sean Robinson move to midfield, Pat Deegan to centre forward, Gerry Claffey to left corner forward and the burly Baker take up the full forward position. This was a move which seemed to work well for the Ballinagore team. The came a good solo run by Pat Deegan, who in turn placed Paul Baker to send over the bar to give the team the injection they needed. They took the lead in the 41st minute when Gerry Claffey flicked to the unmarked Paul Baker who in turn placed Norman Maxwell to drive to the net from close range. This lead was increased even further two minutes later when Sean Robinson was fouled on the 20 metre line after a good solo run. The resultant free was sent over the bar by Martin Seery.

Ballynacargy came more into the play after this and good play from Willie Maguire and Declan Farrell resulted in a point from Pat Keena in the 45th minute. Five minutes later they were back on level terms when Anthony Maher fired over a point and it was anyones game at this stage. Play was brisk from end to end for the next five minutes with boths sides missing chances. The stalemate was broken on the 55th minute when Martin Seery placed Gerry Claffey who slipped his marker and drive low to the Ballynacargy net giving the 'keeper no chance. However, back came Ballynacargy with a point from Declan Farrell a minute later to leave just two points between the sides. The gap was closed even further in the 57th minute when Pat Keena pointed a free to leave the minimum between the sides.


Good defensive play from Sean Claffey, John Durkan and Brendan Robinson over the next few minutes helped to relieve the pressure around the Ballinagore goalmouth and it was relieved even further in the 60th minute when Martin Seery found Gerry Claffey who fisted over the bar to give Ballinagore the insurance point. The play finished two minutes later with Ballynacargy on the offensive. Overall a good sporting game of football with both sides playing good passages of football and Ballinagores improved second half display giving them a deserved victory. They had good performances in defence from Sean Claffey, John Durkan and Jimmy Marshall while up front Norman Maxwell, Sean Robinson, Pat Deegan, Gerry Claffey and substitute Paul Baker all impressed. Ballynacargy were best served by Enda Maher, David Jordan, Declan Farrell, Willie Maguire, Brendan Keena and Anthony Maher.



Ballinagore: Stephen Brudell, Sean Claffey, John Durkan, Pat Seery, Jimmy Marshall, Peter Robinson, Ger Connell, Paul Seery, Brendan Robinson, Sean Robinson, Norman Maxwell (1-0), Louis Ennis, Martin Seery (0-2), Gerry Claffey (1-1), Pat Deegan. Sub: Paul Baker (0-1) for Paul Seery (injured)


Ballynacargy: Cristoir Maguire, Derek Wallace, Craig Jordan, Eamonn Murphy, Paul Bruton, Enda Maher, David Jordan, Declan Farrell (0-2), Willie Maguire, Shane Maher (0-1), Danny Keena, Brendan Keena, Mark Wallace, Anthony Maher (0-3), Pat Keena (0-2).


Referee: Tom Farrell, Tang.